Sunday, September 10, 2006

Taiyou no Uta Ep 1

Right from the start, I did not have high expectations of this drama. Here are the reasons why I had reservations about this:

- Based on the tag that this is the finale in the "jun-ai" series, the selection of the leads who can hardly match the theme due to their badly-hurt reputations of having private lives far from their screen persona is simply hard to ignore. No doubt they are relatively promising actors, this is something which will bother the viewers no matter how well they will perform. This affects how convincing they can make their characters appear to be and should never be brushed aside easily.

It really baffles me as to why TBS would want to invite trouble by getting the two to appear together at such a sensitive timing.

- Talking about timing, another thing which disturbs me is to see the drama so soon after the movie's screening. Considering the fact that the film starring Tsukamoto Takashi and YUI was only shown in June, the drama's OA in July comes across as a bad move to me. Of course, comparisons are inevitable because they are essentially based on the same story but the timing is too close for comfort. Just when people have yet to forget the movie's presentation, they will be tempted to compare it to the drama which would have stretched the 2-hour story beyond 10 episodes.

After more than 45 minutes of sitting through the first episode, I must say that it's quite a waste of time so I won't continue to watch this.

I've not watched the movie so I can't do any comparisons so my boredom has nothing to do with the film. The main issue I have here is the pace which gets so slow and everything flows along like plain water without any particular development which would entice me to continue watching. Everything is so jumbled up that I don't see any sense of direction in the plot.

Although Sawajiri Erika had mentioned that she was very confident about her singing, I don't feel that strongly for it though. I think it's partly due to the fact that the story is still in its early stage and the song doesn't really relate to the plot as at this point in time. On the other hand, her vocals are just OK in my opinion. As such, I really cannot comprehend why her single CD has created so much hype that it's storming up the Oricon charts. Anyway, I won't stay around to find out the reason too. ^__^

The brightest spot in this drama was hearing Shibasaki Kou's new song, "invitation" which is quite suitable as a summer song and a refreshing change from her usual heart-wrenching renditions of sentimental numbers. The opening credits show Sawajiri Erika out in the sunlight which is a contrast from the circumstances of her character in the drama. Frankly speaking, I think Sawajiri looks quite pretty in this drama but as the drama progresses, it's likely that she will start to look pale and haggard just like Aya in "Ichi Litre No Namida". On the other hand, Yamada Takayuki looks so similar in his recent dramas that there's no distinguishing trait to differentiate between his roles. And that sideburn, hairy legs and armpits do get on my nerves!

Although I don't really have a good impression of the drama, I'm looking forward to watching the movie instead. YUI may not be an accomplished actress but her youthful appearance, strong vocals and refreshing look on screen catch my eye. And I definitely like Tsukamoto Takashi more than Yamada especially after what the latter's bombshell earlier this year.

2 comments:

camukaba said...

I didn't like this drama when I first started watching it, but I think it gets better as the story goes. Maybe you should give this drama a few more episodes of try :)

Chiaki said...

I guess it's unlikely for me to continue watching this. As it is, I am having some problems in trying to catch up with the viewing of the dramas due to work and studies. In fact, for this summer season, I'm only following "My Boss My Hero" and "Kekkon Dekinai Otoko" without fail so it's not possible for me to spend time on something which I don't really enjoy.

Most of the time, I would usually give dramas a few episodes to prove themselves but recently, there have been countless titles which irked me that much to the extent of dropping them after the first episode or just 10 minutes.