Monday, August 13, 2012

Update to the Summer 2012 ratings race - 13 Aug 12

As some dramas didn't show any new episodes last week (most likely due to the Olympics) and that the average rating ranking has not changed much due to relatively stagnant figures for last week, I'm providing the average rating ranking only:

1) GTO 13.03%
2) Iryu Sousa 12.18%
3) Keishichou Sousa Ikka 9 Kakari 11.87%
4) Rich Man, Poor Woman 11.86%
5) Tokkan 11.45%
6) Ghost Mama Sousasen 11.40%
7) Kyoto Chiken no Onna 11.10%
8) Summer Rescue 10.80%
9) Iki mo dekinai natsu 10.54%
10) Kuro no Onna Kyoushi 10.38%
11) Beautiful Rain  10.34%

12) Higashino Keigo Mysteries 8.96%
13) Beginners 7.83%
14) Naniwa Shounen Tanteidan 6.40%
15) Boys On The Run 5.60%
16) Omo ni naitemasu 5.10%
17) VISION 3.36%
18) Sprout 2.57%
19) Soumatou Kabushikigaisha 2.33%

To be frank, this season is boring in terms of the ratings aspect. Just like the summer heat is making people feel lethargic, the figures are sluggish and there isn't any significant competition among the various offerings. Last season, at least we had Kagi no Kakatta Heya and ATARU switching places at the top almost every week. 37-sai de Isha ni Natta Boku also gave Mikeneko Holmes no Suiri a run for its money. Look at what's happening here. GTO is still at the top and Iryu Sousa looks rather far from toppling the current season leader. I'm not keen on watching GTO though but if anyone has watched it and can tell me why it is attracting a stable viewership base, I would love to hear your views.

Big names don't always work, as seen from Higashino Keigo Mysteries even though I enjoy it quite a bit. Rich Man, Poor Woman is making me rather sleepy and the only thing that keeps me still tuned in is how Asahina is going to take his revenge on Hyuga. Iki mo dekinai natsu looks quite good after just 2 episodes but the pacing is rather slow at times. Based on the summer dramas I've watched so far (some a bit more, while some just one episode into it), I just don't get the same level of excitement when I was watching Kagi. No wonder I'm returning to the older dramas instead these days e.g. I finished SPEC (the drama, SP) in a matter of 3 days just to make sure I could go and watch the movie. The current dramas just don't drive me in the same way, which is a pity. Or is it the weather that's wearing my patience low to the extent that I can't stand sitting through an episode which simply bores me?

No comments: