Monday, October 02, 2006

Dandori ~ Dance Drill ~ Ep 1

Before watching this drama, I had my reservations about this due to two main factors. First of all, this seems so much like a gender-reversed version of Waterboys no doubt it features another little-known sport in Japan. Secondly, the cast doesn't look that appealing after all and I wasn't sure whether Eikura Nana could pull her weight as the female lead. However, I felt that this deserved a little chance since the cast had promising young actresses like Kato Rosa and Morita Ayaka as well as Kokubun Taichi who's making his return to a drama after a pretty long absence and Kanno Miho who appears as a special guest.

Frankly speaking, I do not feel that Eikura Nana has what it takes to be a female lead yet. Her expressions seem rather unnatural especially when she tries to flash her megawatt smile. Seeing it in photoshoots may be OK but to see that in moving motion doesn't feel that good. Besides, given her height which makes her tower over her co-cast, it just seems really awkward for her to act as this chirpy young thing Aikawa Kaname. As such, I couldn't help but cringe whenever she tries to show off her cuteness because it sends shivers down my spine literally.

However, Kato Rosa and Morita Ayaka seems quite promising. Compared to Eikura's role, Kato's role as Futaba is more appealing to me because she seems very down-to-earth and sure of what she's going to do. I like people who have a clear idea of what they are doing. On the other hand, Morita didn't really impress me with her past roles because it gave the idea that she was like an accessory to Ueto Aya most of the time i.e. Ace wo Nerae and Attack No.1. Nevertheless, Morita showed that she can do more than that so I'm looking forward to seeing more development in her role.

With regards to the storyline itself, I do not have that much confidence in it being able to hold my interest right till the end though. I just hope that my dislike for some aspects of this drama will not prove strong enough to make me give up before seeing the climax cheerleading scene in the final episode.

No comments: